The first step towards understanding SEO is understanding what site optimization is for and what it consists of. We explain point by point.
What is SEO for
Why do online stores, corporate portals, and even landing pages with business card websites need SEO. All Business and website want to get rank on google first page they need to get SEO Services in Lahore. SEO is the completion, development, and promotion of a site, taking into account search engines’ requirements.
1. Growth of search traffic
Despite the popularity of social networks and instant messengers, Google are at the top in attendance on the Runet.
The most considerable resources according to Mediascope (Russia, September 2018)
Consequently, search engines remain the key sources of traffic to the site. So, according to Data Insight, online stores get about a third of visitors from search.
Data Insight: the share of traffic sources for online stores
Content projects – corporate blogs, mass media, information sites that earn money from advertising – tend to have an even higher share of search traffic. You can verify this using Similarweb.
Example: traffic sources [website url] according to Similarweb
Media, brands, and agencies are interested in search traffic not only because of its potential volume. A significant difference from other channels is that you do not need to pay for each click and transition to the site, as in contextual and targeted advertising.
At the same time, of course, you cannot call search traffic-free, because especially at the beginning, you need to invest a lot in content, technical optimization, and so on. But investing in SEO brings results and pays off in the long term (4 to 12 months).
2. Improving user experience
Traffic and leads growth and website behavior improvement can only be expected when using honest white hat SEO. On the other hand, gray and black SEO methods are more likely to lead to assimilation and sanctions.
3. What is included in the SEO of any website?
Search engine optimization of the site includes the following types of work:
Preparation and planning
Before you take specific SEO actions, you need to decide on goals, strategy, and promotion tools. For this, the following are carried out:
Audit of the current resource – the site is assessed to what extent it meets search engines’ requirements. In the process, errors are detected, for example:
- broken links (links to non-existent pages degrade the user experience);
- duplicate pages (copies of pages make it difficult to promote, lower the ranking in search);
- slow loading of the site (there is a significant risk that the user will not wait and leave);
- incorrect display on mobile devices (increases the number of bounces from the mobile audience, worsens the ranking).
You can check site optimization for mobile devices using the Google test.
Analysis of competitive sites – collection and comparison of traffic and traffic sources, number of pages, search queries, visibility in search engines, and more.
Collection and clustering of the semantic core – selection, and grouping of user search queries for which the site will be promoted. Given the collected keywords and phrases:
- the structure of the site is determined (for example, a decision may be made to create additional pages, complicate the existing hierarchy);
- optimization of meta tags, headers, text, descriptions of pictures, and other elements on the site;
- landing pages are selected for contextual advertising, and ad impressions are configured.
4. An example of a semantic core from medical topics
- Internal optimization
Internal optimization works include:
- filling the site with content – writing articles for a blog, filling in product cards in an online store, uploading videos to the site and other content;
- writing unique meta tags (title, description) for each page and optimizing the text per the collected semantic core;
- linking – linking the pages of the site with each other by links (for example, in the article “How to use a product,” it is logical to link to the card of this product and vice versa).
Internal optimization also includes purely technical work:
- setting robots.txt and sitemap.xml – these are files with instructions for search robots, which are needed, for example, to prohibit indexing of some pages and speed up the search for others;
- Removal of duplicate pages and broken links, eliminate problems with adaptability and loading speed, and so on.
5. Broken links can be found using Ahrefs or broken link checker online tools
- External optimization
Work on external factors begins when the internal optimization is well done, and all the technical work has been done.
External SEO includes the work of analyzing and extracting links to the site. You can get them, for example, by:
- Media Mentions – When a company writes articles on industry resources, interviews, and expert opinions on a topic. Or it turns out to be in the center of a scandal, hype.
- Guest publishing is when a company posts articles containing links on thematic sites and other people’s blogs for free or through barter.
- Behavioral factors
At the development and testing stage, it is impossible to take into account all the nuances of user interaction with the site. What initially seems reasonable to the developer and customer may be inconvenient for most visitors. Web analytics systems show how users behave on the site and allow hypotheses for further improving the resource.
It is essential to continually study and take into account the user experience while working on the site. Search engines take into account such indicators as:
- View depth – the number of viewed pages. The more there are, the more interesting the site is for the user (though not relevant for landing pages).
- Time on the site is another indicator of a user’s interest in content, goods, and services.
- The bounce rate is the higher the proportion of those who immediately leave the site, the worse for its ranking.
- Repeat visits, direct visits – these metrics show that users know the site and trust it.
6. What is no longer included in regular SEO
The following methods are no longer included in the SEO promotion of a modern website. So be aware from these type of methods and focus on white hat strategies to improve website ranking in search engine. Some of them are outdated and ineffective; some are harmful and can lead to a deterioration in the site’s ranking in search engines:
Buying links on exchanges
A method that implies a paid and automated placement of external links to the site.
Run through catalogs, message boards, forums
Another way to artificially get inbound links to your site.
Cheating behavioral factors
Imitation of real users’ actions, artificially improving the viewing depth, time spent on the site, and more.
When the text includes many keywords in unnatural word forms, it is written for search robots and not for people.
Promotion by position (keywords)
Now it is also practically useless, as the search results become more and more personalized. Google generates results based on location, query history, device, and many other factors. Being at the top for a specific request does not make sense since each user has his top.
Now that you know why you need Search Engine Optimization and what site optimization includes, you can move on. It takes a long time, hard, and not very useful to master internet marketing by articles, videos, and books. It is better to study for an online course with practicing teachers, homework assignments, real project analysis, and the possibility of internship and employment. Mostly if, in addition to SEO, other areas are also studied there: SMM, email marketing, contextual advertising.